Reading terror attack: Police granted five more days to quiz suspect as injured three leave hospital

THREE people taken to hospital after being seriously injured in the Reading terror attack have all now been discharged, Counter Terrorism Policing South East (CTPSE) said.

Detectives were on Monday granted a warrant of further detention until June 27 for a 25-year-old man arrested on Saturday by three officers near the scene, and he remains in police custody.

The force also confirmed that it has already spoken to 50 witnesses who have come forward as part of the investigation and appealed to anyone who may have dash-cam footage.

Detective Chief Superintendent Kath Barnes, head of CTPSE, said: “This investigation is continuing at pace. We have a large team of officers and staff working to establish exactly what happened in the lead up to, during and after this incident.

“Our thoughts very much remain with the family and friends of those who have lost loved ones and those who have been injured and affected as a result of this tragic incident.

“I would ask both the media and the public again not to speculate on any aspect of this case at this time as this could have an impact on the ongoing investigation and any future court appearances.”

Read more – Forbury Gardens latest:

Counter Terrorism Policing has taken on the responsibility for this investigation from Thames Valley Police, and are said to be ‘keeping an open mind’ to the motive behind the attack.

More than 100 staff have been deployed to work on this investigation and continue to appeal for anyone with information to come forwards.

They are particularly interested in hearing from anyone who may have been driving in the area before or at the time of the incident, and who may have dash-cam footage which could be of use to the investigation.

Counter Terrorism Policing has also confirmed that ‘a number of items’ have been recovered from the scene and are currently being investigated by specialist teams.

There will be a number or cordons that remain in place around the town centre as forensic officers continue to comb the area.

The force thanked local residents impacted by the disruption.

It also urged people not to share distressing mobile phone footage of the immediate aftermath of the attack which has been posted online, adding: “We would ask that this is shared with us as a priority.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Thames Valley Police on 101, quoting Operation Vaselike, more details also at

Reading Chronicle